Write your Texas legislators today!
- Please write to your Texas legislators today to urge them to vote for full funding for the Texas Commission on the Arts including restoring $5 million to the Texas Commission on the Arts' Cultural & Fine Arts District program.
- There is still time for legislators to restore full funding! While the Senate and House budgets have made drastic cuts to the arts, the final budget will be drafted by the just-appointed ten-member Budget Conference Committee. Over the next 2-3 weeks, they will collectively negotiate a State Budget that both the Senate and House will be asked to approve.
THIS IS OUR LAST CHANCE THIS SESSION! Write today!
Thursday, April 6th, we watched an Amendment that would have totally defunded the Texas Commission on the Arts be tabled and killed on the House floor, followed by a second Amendment that would have severely cut funding to the TCA to be withdrawn! Amendment sponsors, Representative Tony Tinderholt (R-Arlington) and Representative Pat Fallon (R-Frisco) respectively, saw by a vote of 115 to 29, that a significant majority of their peers in the Texas House of Representatives support the Texas Commission on the Arts and recognize that investing public resources is a critical part of ensuring that all of our Texas citizens have access to arts and culture in their communities,
Thank you to all of you arts leaders across Texas who called, emailed, Tweeted and Facebook-ed your Texas legislators! We won these two important victories!
Now it's time to thank them!
Texans for the Arts successfully executed the legislative strategy that secured a new $5 million appropriation for the Texas Commission on the Arts' Cultural & Fine Arts District program during the 84th Legislative Session. But NOW those funds have been eliminated from the 85th Session Senate and House budgets! Our collective advocacy effort is now underway to restore the $5 million to the TCA's budget. The Budget Conference Committee will be appointed shortly and we will need our champions on that Committee to ensure the Cultural & Fine Arts District program gets refunded! We will share advocacy updates as soon as the Budget Conference Committee has been appointed!
The Cultural & Fine Arts District Program's new appropriation in 2015 was one of the single largest arts appropriations in the U.S. in 2015. Special thanks to our partners the Texas Cultural Trust and the Texas Commission on the Arts and very importantly, our Texas legislators and state leadership who played a part in insuring this increased investment in public funding for the arts in Texas. We will continue to work in partnership as we manage the next steps of this advocacy campaign.
- March 20-21, 2017, a delegation of Texas arts leaders attended National Arts Advocacy Day in Washington, D.C. to meet with our Texas Congressional leaders about arts issues at the federal level - in particular threatened cuts to the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Additional issue areas included pending changes to tax policy, immigration policy, health care, and more. To learn more about the campaign to save the National Endowment for the Arts and to take action click here!
Texans for the Arts Foundation held a most successful 2017 Texas Arts Advocacy Day on Thursday, February 9, 2017 at the Texas State Capitol in Austin! Over 245 arts leaders and citizen activists gathered from across the state to learn, share, and participate in the democratic process. Everyone has a story about how the arts make a difference in their own lives, in that of their families, and in their communities. On February 9th, we used our voices to speak up about the importance of investing public resources in the arts across our towns, cities, regions, state and nation. Click here to learn more about this year's highlights,
Special thanks to the Texas Commission on the Arts for their generous support of 2017 Arts Advocacy Day through a grant to Texans for the Arts Foundation and to the Texas Cultural Trust for underwriting our Happy Hour Reception. AND, thank you Texas State Senators and Representatives for meeting with us and listening!
- Did you know that the arts generate $5.5 BILLION for the Texas economy? That the arts contribute nearly $343.7 MILLION in state sales tax? That at-risk high school students who complete more than one art class are half as likely to drop out? These and other dynamic data reflect the power of the arts to grow the economy of Texas and help students succeed! Check out the Texas Cultural Trust’s 2017 "Invest in the Arts" study here!
- A very special thank you to Creative Waco, the Waco Convention & Visitors Bureau, and the Waco Hippodrome Theatre for hosting our signature Arts Funding & Leadership Development Workshop on February 24, 2016 in Waco. The Workshop was a tremendous success and included insightful commentary about advocacy and about the important role the arts play in our schools and in our communities by Texas Representatives "Doc" Anderson (R-Waco) and Kyle Kacal (R-Bryan). Special appreciation to Fiona Bond, Executive Director of Creative Waco, for extending the initial invitation to Texans for the Arts and for working with our Texans for the Arts' members of the Board of Directors who presented the workshop's curriculum. Over 60 attendees participated in the day long workshop.
A very special thank you to TFA Board members George Ramirez, President of the Brownsville Society for the Performing Arts, and Cristina Balli, now Executive Director of Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center, for hosting our rewarding Arts Funding & Leadership Development Workshop in Brownsville, TX on October 8, 2015. Joined by arts leaders from across the Rio Grande Valley, TFA Board members and TFA Executive Director was the Honorable Rene Oliveira, State Representative from District 37, who shared his perspective of what it is like to 'receive' advocacy and lobbying efforts.
Special thanks to the students of MIS 374 at the McCombs Business School of the University of Texas at Austin for building this site!